Motes in the Serpent's Eye
Dr. Völund Keystone
Chief Medical Officer
Male Dwarf; Age: 243; Height: 4’ 5"; Weight: 178 lbs.
Agility d4, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d8, Vigor d10, Wealth d10, Windfall: 7.
Fighting (Simple, Martial) d8, Gambling d10, Healing d8+2, Intimidation d8, Knowledge (Business) d6, Knowledge (Electronics) d6, Knowledge (Medicine) d8, Knowledge (Ship Systems) d6, Notice d6, Persuasion d6, Shooting (Energy, Vehicle) d8, Taunt d6.
Charisma: 2 Pace: 4 (+d6) Parry: 6 Toughness: 7 (?)
– Dwarves hold the orcs responsible for the destruction of the Dwarven Commonwealth in the Pre-Empire era. The devastation then was so horrible that it led to the Dwarven Diaspora still talked about to this day. Members of each culture suffer a – 4 Charisma when dealing with each other. Unless fettered by other authorities or common goals, individuals of the two races typically attack each other on sight.
– Dwarves have a Pace of 5".
– Völund is getting on in years, but he’s not quite ready for the nursing home. His Pace is reduced by 1, and his Strength and Vigor drop a die type to a minimum of d4, and cannot be raised thereafter.
– Dwarves are stout and tough. They start with a d6 Vigor instead of a d4. Additionally, dwarves get a + 2 to any Vigor roll that involves resisting poison effects.
– Dwarves’ great constitution allows them to better withstand the effects of a poor atmosphere with little oxygen. They receive a + 4 to resist the effects of being in this adverse situation.
– Dwarven eyes are accustomed to the dark of the underearth. They ignore penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
– Dr. Keystone adds + 2 to all Healing rolls (including natural healing rolls for his own wounds), whether natural or magical in nature. Up to five companions traveling with a Healer add the bonus to their natural healing rolls as well.
– An experienced combat veteran, Dr. Keystone can sense when something bad is about to happen. Anytime he’s about to be the victim of a surprise attack, ambush, or other nasty surprise, he gets a Notice roll at –2 just before the attack or event occurs. If successful, he knows something is about to happen and may take appropriate action against it. This means the hero is on Hold for the first round of a combat. Should the hero fail his roll, he still follows the normal Surprise rules, if applicable (see SWD65).
– As a combat medic, Dr. Keystone has learned how to work with others, even those who might be somewhat opposed to him or his efforts. This adds + 2 to his Charisma.
Blaster pistol with laser sight, combat fatigues, dermpatch of cure light wounds, datapad, personal communicator.
“If you look around the table and you can’t tell who the sucker is – it’s you.”
Common d8, Draconic d8, Dwarvish d10, Gnomish d6.
Even though his beard is showing more grey than ginger and his gait has more than a bit of a hitch, Völund can quaff down a keg on his own, out-shout a dragon and out-stomp an ogre. Afterwards he’ll still be able to tell you what your cargo is worth to the last cent. He is possibly the most dangerous person at a card table of anyone aboard the Speaks Softly.