Motes in the Serpent's Eye
Dr. Nil Galadren Caladriend
RES Science Team Geneticist and Senior Biologist
Dr. Nil Galadren Caladriend
Female Elf (Grey); Age: 173; Height: 5’ 1"; Weight: 96 lbs.
Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6, Wealth d10; Windfall: 4.
Climbing d4, Fighting (Martial) d8, Investigation d6, Knowledge (Arcana) d6, Knowledge (Biology) d8+2, Knowledge (Electronics) d4, Knowledge (Genetics) d8+2, Knowledge (Genomantic Divination & Engineering) d8, Notice d6, Riding (Elven Hunting Cat) d4, Shooting (Primative) d6, Wizardry d6.
Charisma: – 1; Pace: 6 (+d6); Parry: 6 Toughness: 5 (-).
– Dr. Caladriend is particularly susceptible to sickness, chronic headaches, disease, environmental effects, and fatigue. She subtracts 2 from all Fatigue checks such as those made to resist poison and disease (SWD86).
– Dr. Caladriend knows that her intelligence and skill set make her both unique and exemplary. She also knows that if she has anyone approaching a peer in her field, it is Dr. Rose. She has little respect for those of little intellect.
– Elves have a dark place reserved in their hearts for their ebon-skinned cousins, the subterranean drow. While they can intellectually understand how the other races might err in their ways, they find it difficult to excuse their cousins’ cruel nature. Members of each culture suffer a – 4 Charisma when dealing with each other. Unless fettered by other authorities or common goals, individuals of the two races typically attack each other on sight.
– Much of the technology used by the elves are intricately designed, and incorporate biotech elements. They therefore often find standard devices somewhat confusing, so they suffer a – 2 to Trait tests involving computers and other devices not of elven origin.
– Elves are graceful and agile. They start with a d6 in Agility instead of a d4.
– Elves do not sleep, entering a trance-like state of memory instead. They need half the normal amount of ‘sleep’ as humans. This ability also grants them immunity to all magical sleep effects and + 2 to any Trait rolls to resist any magical effect of the enchantment school.
– Elven eyes amplify light like a cat’s, allowing them to see in the dark. Elves ignore penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
– When using Wild Attack with a light weapon, such as a dagger or rapier, Dr. Caladriend gains a + 1 reach.
– Dr. Caladriend is a Divination Specialist. She is able prepare and cast 3 Novice spells and 5 Cantrips per day as long as they are of that school. Her opposition schools are Abjuration and Illusion, spells of those schools each count as two spells to prepare, and she incurs a – 1 penalty to her trait rolls when casting spells or crafting magic items that use spells from one or both opposed schools.Her caster rank is Novice when casting wizard spells.
– Biology and Genetics get + 2 to trait tests.
– When Galadren gets a raise on her Fighting roll, she may roll Agility (maximum of d12) instead of a d6 for the bonus damage. This only applies when using a light weapon, such as a dagger or rapier.
Caster Rank: Novice (Wizard, Divination Specialist)
Wizard Spells Slots per Day: 5/3
Prepared Cantrips: Detect Cellular Viability (x2), Detect Genetic Material (x2), See Infinitesimal.
Prepared Novice Spells: Predict Chromosome, Adjust Chromatid, Weaken Centromere.
Cyber/Spellware (Strain: 1/6)
– This is a purely cybernetic replacement of Dr. Caladriend’s left eye. It provides her with the same elven vision her natural one once did, along with chronic migraines.
“Over-industrialization and the resultant ecological deterioration precipitated by the current social structures can only lead to one end ultimately – a complete collapse of ecosystems on a galactic scale. My field of study is working on new, ecologically sustainable ways to supply the rapacious demands of Imperial culture while retaining a natural balance. Now, please, tell me again how your protests are helping improve things?”
Common d8, Draconic d8, Elvish d8, Druidic d8, Sylvan d8, Terran d8.
A brilliant biologist and geneticist, Dr Caladriend can be alternately optimistic and moody, her temperament mercurial. Her labwork is exemplary and beyond reproach, however. Her left eye is plainly artificial and she has health issues stemming from chronic headaches and fatigue.