Motes in the Serpent's Eye
AC-12X47N "Charlie Twelve"
House Esmer Infiltration Operative
AC-12X47N aka “Charlie Twelve” (Real Name Unknown)
Male-presenting Soulmech; Age: 79 ; Height: 5’ 7"; Weight: 165 lbs.
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6, Wealth d4, Debt: 3.
Driving (Civilian Transports) d4, Gambling d4, Investigation d8, Knowledge (Anthropology) d10+2, Knowledge (Cooking) d6, Knowledge (Pre-Contact Lore) d8+2, Knowledge (Electronics) d4, Knowledge (Arcana) d6, Notice d6, Repair d4.
Charisma: -2; Pace: 8 (+d8); Parry: 2; Toughness: 5.
– Soulmechs must recharge via strong electricity at least one hour out of every 24. Failure to do so results in Fatigue each day that can lead to Incapacitation. Each level is recovered with an hour of recharging.
– Soulmechs suffer + 4 additional damage from electrical attacks, and have a – 4 penalty to resist other electrical effects.
– A soulmech cannot be Raised or Resurrected. As they do not eat, they cannot benefit from potions, drugs or magical effects that require component ingestion. They cannot increase physical traits (Str, Agil, Vigor) during advancement, although they may still purchase increases as Mods (SFC 38). They cannot be healed by divine magic, nor can they benefit from magic that enhances physical trait scores.
– Organic species often treat soulmechs as property rather than sentient beings. They have no rights in many systems, and suffer – 2 Charisma when dealing with beings who know their artificial nature (and aren’t constructs themselves).
– Soulmechs must pay maintenance costs like robots (see Maintenance SFC 37). Remember that PC Soulmechs are Wild Cards when calculating base cost.
– Charlie Twelve feels that violence is the last refuge of the incompetant. He will not fight living characters under any circumstances. He may defend himself, but won’t do anything to permanently harm a sentient, living creature. If forced to fight, he will defer to Defend or Full Defense actions (SWD72-73).
– Charlie Twelve is a secret romance novel addict. His data tablet is stuffed to bursting with torrid digital novels.
– Charlie Twelve is a people watcher. Not needing to sleep, he can often be found quietly insinuating himself into the background of social gatherings and pretending to read.
– Charlie Twelve tries to never betray or disappoint his friends.
– Charlie Twelve has only recently paid off his inception costs and is still working to cover the repair costs from his accident last year. He has recently tried his hand at gambling but is an easy mark and rarely breaks even.
– Soulmechs add + 2 to recover from being Shaken, don’t breathe or sleep, ignore one level of wound modifiers, and are immune to poison, disease and physical necromatic effects. Soulmechs cannot heal naturally. To heal one requires the Repair skill—which is used like the Healing skill only with no “Golden Hour.”
– Soulmechs begin with a d6 Strength attribute instead of a d4.
– A soulmech’s body is capable of moving extremely fast. They begin the game with a + 2 to their Pace and a running die of d8.
– While soulmechs may not use cyber or spellware, they may purchase Modifications from the Robot Modifications Table (SFC 38). Like all robots, they have 5 Mod slots. (The Geared Up Edge, SFC 12, might help you afford these upgrades.) GMs should not normally allow characters to take Increase Size beyond + 3 or the hero will no longer fit into most adventures. Soulmechs may remove or install a Mod with a Repair roll and 1d3 hours (half that with a raise). A critical failure means the Mod is destroyed and must be replaced.
– + 2 to two different Knowledge skills
– Charlie Twelve has an ear for languages and a rare talent for recognizing similarities between them. He starts with a number of languages equal to his Smarts die, and can make a Smarts roll at – 2 to make himself understood in any language or dialect he has heard spoken for at least a week.
Commlink, a set of matching ugly unitards, personal data device, several dozen data chips containing linguistic, anthropology and pre-contact libraries, (as well an astoundingly large collection of trashy romance novels.)
– Charlie Twelve has an improved power cell and only needs to recharge once every two months.
“Can I assist you in any way?”
Common d12, Digital d12, Draconic d12, Elvish d12, Dwarvish d12, Gnomish d12, Orcish d12, Goblin d12, Undercommon d12, Pershalan d12, Sylvan d12.
Quiet, humble and attentive to detail, this soulmech can always be counted upon to eagerly assist with even the most menial of tasks, earning him the nickname “Able Charlie.” Charlie Twelve avoids contractions and the use of profanity in his speech patterns and is always affable and willing to help.